Planet SurreyLUG

Syndicate content
Updated: 1 hour 33 min ago

Poolside reading. Love my kobo. #kobo #summerday #chillin

Sun, 19/06/2016 - 12:38
from Instagram:

The post Poolside reading. Love my kobo. #kobo #summerday #chillin appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Sluggle IRC Bot

Tue, 14/06/2016 - 13:26

Today I released the first semi-stable version of sluggle, a simple IRC searchbot. The name is a contraction of Google and SLUG (an informal and inaccurate acronym for the Surrey Linux User Group).

Sluggle enables IRC users to search the Internet using Bing, to search Wolfram Alpha, to look up and shorten web addresses and to check the safety of sites.

For more details please visit sluggle.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Server busy. Load Avg 100+!

Tue, 07/06/2016 - 12:08

Yup. Server is definitely busy.
load average: 101.86, 93.67, 61.21

The post Server busy. Load Avg 100+! appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Facebook app now self-defeating

Wed, 01/06/2016 - 14:57

Since Facebook introduced the data-harvesting ‘Continuously Upload Contacts’ feature in settings, a change has occurred in the background (the Facebook API, for those inclined..) which prevents you downloading your friend list via a trusted 3rd party app.

In addition, the Facebook app itself no longer supports the older style ‘contact sync’ properly (or at all) on both Android and iOS.

In addition (and YMMV), the calendar sync no longer seems to work either. There is a workaround you can follow (link beneath), to create a Google calendar which syncs your Facebook contacts’ birthdays – and this is the primary reason for my post.

I used to rely on the app syncing calendar events to my phone, so that I could see at a glance whose birthday it is and send them my best wishes, but I’ve missed a few recently and now I know why.

I’m starting to wonder what benefit the native Android/iOS app is these days, versus good old mobile website access. I’m going to ditch the FB app on Android and start using ‘Tinfoil for Facebook’ instead, which looks and feels very similar but does away with the bloated spyware that the official app has become.

How to Create a Contact Birthday Calendar:

Tinfoil for Facebook:

iOS users can always ‘Save to Homescreen’ from mobile Safari when visiting

The post Facebook app now self-defeating appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Star Wars for hold music? Sweet!

Sun, 29/05/2016 - 11:22

On phone to car insurer.  While on hold, incidental theme music for Star Wars plays.  Please keep me on hold!  #starwars #customerservice

The post Star Wars for hold music? Sweet! appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Busy weekend lined up! #beer #bankholiday

Fri, 27/05/2016 - 17:23
from Instagram:

The post Busy weekend lined up! #beer #bankholiday appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

A Probably Inaccurate History Of LibVirt, KVM and QEMU

Mon, 09/05/2016 - 18:38

A while ago I was explaining the difference between QEMU, KVM and LibVirt, and I ended up by emailing this nonsense. I don’t claim it’s accurate, it certainly isn’t. It’s probably not even funny. Enjoy :).

In the beginning there was QEMU, but it was slow and the people grieved.

Then KVM was forked from QEMU with a kernel module to use the CPU’s virtualisation features to work much faster and there was much rejoicing. Linus also rejoiced and welcomed KVM’s kernel module into the mainline kernel.

But the people did not rejoice, as they were mostly using Sun’s VirtualBox (also forked from QEMU).

QEMU awoke from its slumber and joined with KVM and their union caused almost no rejoicing, in fact I am not convinced anyone really noticed.

But the System Administrators were still dissatisfied and complained that there should be standardisation of commands across different hypervisors. And thus LibVirt was born and the System Administrators rejoiced.

Yet still the people used VirtualBox. But lo! The evil Oracle slew the Sun and VirtualBox moved into darkness, and there was much gnashing of teeth and wearing of sackcloth; although this was generally considered a step forwards from the t-shirts that they usually wore.

But still the people could not use QEMU-KVM, without issuing complex incantations, and so Virt-Manager was born and finally the people rejoiced, with much clicking of mice.

The End.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Happy Pi Day! #piday #piday2016 #pi #pie

Mon, 14/03/2016 - 10:05
from Instagram:

The post Happy Pi Day! #piday #piday2016 #pi #pie appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

A new, maintained fork of Freight

Thu, 10/03/2016 - 12:33

In Foreman, we use the Freight repository manager to generate Debian package archives for a range of Debian and Ubuntu releases. It's a neat little project, just a handful of shell scripts which build and maintain the archive pool and necessary files for the dists and components. The output can then be served up by any web server.

Unfortunately the project ended up unmaintained and was missing some fixes required for newer apt client versions. Three of us have taken maintenance on and have forked the project to freight-team/freight on GitHub. So if you're looking to download it or send patches, please do so via the repo above. We hope this will serve as the canonical version in future.

Yesterday we cut the first release (v0.3.6) containing:

  • apt 1.1 support, required for Debian Stretch and Ubuntu 16.04
  • multiple GPG key support for better key rolling
  • some queued up bug fixes
  • a new test suite to catch regressions
... read more in the release notes.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs

Inventor of email sadly passes

Sun, 06/03/2016 - 20:17

Ray Tomlinson passed away Saturday.  What a legacy to leave.

The post Inventor of email sadly passes appeared first on life at warp.

Categories: LUG Community Blogs